Most of us manage to accumulate a surprisingly large number of clothing items in the space of a year. Spring cleaning your closet is a great way to make room for new things, and finding ways to refresh the old ones we'd like to keep. Another advantage is actually organizing your closet (cuz if you're like us, it gets to be a jungle!), so that you know what you have and can find what you are looking for.
Of course we are constantly changing and evolving as people and our style will reflect this. Getting rid of things that no longer serve us means we can begin to embrace who we are at the moment. Shopping after an organizing session can help save you money, because you now know what is lacking in your clothing choices and what you need to buy, instead of just making random purchases.
It is always a great idea to think about your waste when undertaking a project, and steps can be taken to spring clean in an eco-friendly way. Instead of disposing of the items that you no longer want, find ways to get rid of them so that they can be used again. Here are 5 suggestions from us:
- Donate to Charity – As the old adage goes- one man's trash is another man's treasure! It feels good to get rid of items when we know that they might have a second life, and making a positive difference in someone else’s life. Donating wearable items to a reputable charity is a positive environmental choice and helps those in need.
- Swap with Others – Get together with a bunch of friends and/or family members that have spring cleaned their closets as well, and exchange clothing and other items. Everybody is guaranteed to find something they love amongst the things that somebody else is getting rid of. Make an occasion of it! Clothing swap parties are tons of fun.
- Recycle – Damaged or torn clothing can be taken to special textile recycling centers, where they can be made into smaller items or combined to make new things.
- Refresh Items – Some items can be reused in other ways with a bit of imagination and adjustment eg. Cutting and hemming jeans to convert into a pair of shorts.
- Helps you Avoid Buying Duplicates – Have you ever been cleaning your closet out, only to discover that you have three pairs of black pants that look almost identical? Spring cleaning your closet before going shopping can save you the expense, and annoyance, of purchasing more than one of the same item.
These are just a few of the ways in which spring cleaning can have a positive effect on both you and the environment. It is fun to invest in new trends and styles, this is something we all enjoy, but it is also important to ensure that you are also doing your best to get rid of items you no longer us in a responsible way!
OMG remember the mall ?!?!